Blog > Less Is More
Phew, I’ve been going like a dingbat from the beginning of the year, and now I’m going to slow it right down – I’m so excited!
Then from September to December I’ll be in full flow again, and I’m really looking forward to that too.
I am now entering my ‘Less is More’ period. Running my own business gives me the flexibility to slow down, reflect and gain perspective. It started a few years ago, doing less during my children’s 9 week summer holiday that they get here in N.Ireland – but I’ve found it really helps to propel my business forward.
My brain is given time and space to recharge, but equally importantly I reflect and gain perspective on my business. I keep working with clients but slow down on other aspects.
Here are some of the questions I ask myself:
- What is working well and what is working not so well?
- What do I need to do more of and less of going forward?
- What am I not enjoying doing – and how can I do less of / eliminate / outsource those things?
- What do I enjoy doing that I am not doing enough of?
- To really leap forward, what big changes need to be made, or fears need to be overcome?
Do you take time to do this on a regular basis? What additional questions do you need to ask yourself to make your business leap forward?
Here are My Tips for Making Less is More work:
- Cover your Less is More period Financially: My business is built around earning 10 months of the year – September to June, anything earned during July and August is counted as a bonus.
- Keep Strong and Focused on Doing Less: If you own your own business you are a natural do-er, so doing less can be hard. I have set rules e.g. running no workshops, limited flying to clients in England.
- Set Yourself some Goals Outside your Business: (don’t worry your sub-conscious will still be working away for you!) For example, my horse is already seeing a lot of more of me….and in getting her fitter there should soon be a bit less to her waistline.
- It May Sound Obvious: But set yourself the questions you want to think about and make sure you answer them…….and then act on them.
So plan when you are going to recharge and reflect, and let me know how you get on!